The School requires an Academic and Cultural Support Mentor (Bilingual Chinese and English) to support the delivery of practical and tutorial class sessions within HBU-UCLan School of Media, Communication & Creative Industries.). Duties will include support and mentor MA programme students during the first year of their studies, as directed by the module lead/course leader.
In addition, the post will require the candidate to assist academic staff and students with language translation (where required), to ensure efficient communication and delivery of information. Contribute to administrative duties associated with the role, including, but not limited to, assisting with materials development, attendance at inductions, module/programme meetings (as required), regular staff meetings (as required), supporting students and staff at seminars and special events.
Essential skills are to include:
- Experience of working in relevant subject area
- Honours degree in relevant subject or closely related discipline
- Bilingual with the ability to speak, read and write in both Chinese and English without limitations or assistance
- Proven practical and theoretical skills in relevant subject area
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop productive working relationships with colleagues across partnership Universities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Understanding of the needs of international students
- Understanding of data protection and information security and how information is disseminated
- Understanding of Health and Safety implications as appropriate to the role
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as an individual and as a member of a team
- Motivated, enthusiastic and good organisational skills
- Ability to work in a changing environment with a flexible and adaptable approach.
- Ability to work flexibly outside of UK business hours to support the operational requirements of international partnerships
- An understanding of and demonstrable commitment to the University’s Values as a framework for decisions, actions and behaviors.
In addition, you should be IT literate and be able to record student attendance, upload the necessary coursework on the university network and contact students through digital channels. You should also have relevant Industry practice experience.
Applicants need to meet all essential criteria on the person specification to be considered for interview. This position is based in Preston.
School/Service: School of Arts and Media
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract until 31 August 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Job Description / Person Specification
Helpful Hints For Applicants
UCLan Values/Working at UCLan