University of Texas at Austin
Job Posting Title:
Building Services Supervisor
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Expected to Continue
UT MAIN CAMPUS
You belong at The University of Texas at Austin, where you can help change the world at work while receiving competitive pay and great benefits!
What sets you apart when you join UT?
As a Longhorn, you’ll be working for a globally recognized university. Your work will make a difference in the lives of faculty and staff, thereby enhancing the student experience. If you’re the type of person who wants to know your work has meaning and impact, you’ll like becoming a member of the Facilities Services team at UT.
What’s more, the university fully promotes an equitable, diverse, and inclusive work environment. And with Facilities Services, you’ll have opportunities to grow and learn. We believe that everyone has the potential to be a leader, and we offer comprehensive leadership training and development programs. We want to help you achieve your career goals, because our goal is for you to have a long and rewarding career with us. In addition to that, hybrid or flexible work arrangements have now become available to some of our team members.
What benefits do I receive with UT? The university offers an impressive benefits package including, but not limited to:
- Competitive health benefits (employee premiums covered at 100%, family premiums at 50%)
- Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance options
- Generous paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas, a defined benefit retirement plan, with 8% employer matching funds
- Additional Voluntary Retirement Programs: Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) and a Deferred Compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Robust free training access through LinkedIn Learning plus professional conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Expansive employee discount program including athletic tickets
- Free access to UT Austin’s libraries and museums with staff ID card
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Austin CapMetro buses with staff ID card
For more details on benefits, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards .
For more information, assistance with completing an application, or other questions about joining Facilities Services, contact Oscar Newman at [email protected] .
Or call 512-789-0916.
To ensure cleanliness of university buildings through management and supervision of work crews in the performance of custodial maintenance to multiple facilities. Position supervises approximately 4 subordinate supervisors and 50 employees, and a million gross sq ft of building space. Work in all university buildings.
- Hire, evaluate, discipline, and discharge staff. Workload and staff custodial operations using OS1 processes and standards. Ensure the professional development of self and employees.
- Establish, monitor, and determine effectiveness of training programs. Maintain accurate and timely documentation and records. Meet deadlines and goals. Driving University owned vehicles to job sites will be required for this and most other functions.
- Ensure security of facilities, equipment, materials, keys, and alarm codes. Provide event support. Conduct inventories and execute appropriate notification of UTPD and management on security-related matters.
- Compose correspondence, reports, and presentations. Conduct frequent quality control inspections of facilities, completed work, and operational processes. Ensure compliance with policies, standards, and procedures. Initiate corrective action. Effective and prompt response to requests and complaints.
- Communicate clear performance expectations for employees; monitor and measure performance. Provide effective feedback, recognition, and corrective actions. Ensure immediate documentation and correction as required.
- Adhere to, promote, and enforce safe work practices of employees. Ensure adherence to Workers Compensation Insurance requirements, and other established policies.
- Plan and direct work of approximately four custodial services work crews through subordinate supervisors. Work collaboratively to fulfill the goals of the department and division. Ensure quality, accuracy, and timeliness of submission of administrative and operational documents and computer entries of data prepared by team and self.
- Keep time records. Account for labor. Complete OS1 audits and tracking reports. Ensure full compliance with OS1 standards and schedules.
- Carry and respond to the after-hours emergency pager; participate in, and conduct meetings; work during off-shift. Other related functions as assigned. Maintain acceptable driver rating as established in Policy: UTS157 Section 2.5.4.
High school graduation or GED. Four (4) years experience supervising employees in any one of the following fields: custodial, environmental services, hospitality, warehouse, production, or facilities services. Responds and relates well to management. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers, management, peers and subordinates. Clearly establishes directions and distributes workload appropriately, bringing out the best in people. Knowledge of cleaning and janitorial materials, equipment and methods. Computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel. Stable work history. Must have a reliable means of communicating with the department outside of work by phone.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Associate’s Degree or higher. More than four (4) years experience supervising employees in any one of the following fields: custodial, environmental services, hospitality, warehouse, production, or facilities services. Knowledge of cleaning and janitorial materials, equipment, and methods. Experience working in OS1 team cleaning or other industrially accepted standardized maintenance operations. Demonstrated ability to write complex documents. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook). Ability to provide on-the-job training. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated strong organizational, prioritizing, and time management skills. Successful completion of the Campus Planning and Facilities Management Leader Development program. Proficiency in multiple languages such as English, Spanish, ASL, French, Swahili, Kinyarwanda and Vietnamese.
This job requires a class “C” operator’s driver’s license. The applicant selected must provide a current three year driving record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, a Texas driver’s license must be obtained within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident. Employees who are required to have a CDL are subject to drug and alcohol testing (pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, random, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing).
$53,771 + depending on qualifications
- Uniforms and/or personal protection equipment (furnished)
- May work in all weather conditions
- May work in extreme temperatures
- May work around chemical fumes
- May work around standard office conditions
- May work around biohazards
- May work around chemicals
- May work around electrical and mechanical hazards
- May work repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Climbing of stairs
- Climbing of ladders
- Lifting and moving
Additional Working Conditions:
Off-shift/weekend wok required. Occasionally clean up blood-borne pathogens. Use cleaning and custodial equipment. Continual walking and able to walk 3-5 miles a day. Constant use of personal protective equipment and safety footwear. Lift/carry up to 50 lbs. Push/pull up to 50 lbs. Maintain acceptable driver rating. Ability to distinguish colors. Safety shoes furnished and required.
Monday – Friday, 5pm-2am, 1 hour lunch off the clock, Overtime may be required with little or no notice.
- 3 work references with their contact information
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left-hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer , complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031 .
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the most recent report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe Street, UTA 2.206, Austin, Texas 78701.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this posting.