If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Campus Safety Services
Campus Safety Services is a department of the Finance and Administration Division of Carleton University.
We recognize our shared responsibility to maintain a safe campus while affording dignity and respect to every individual. Our objective is to improve the quality of life through a community partnership which promotes a safe and secure campus. To learn more about our department Please click here
About Carleton University
Carleton University is situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, in Ottawa, Ontario. The university is just minutes from the heart of our nation’s government and G-7 organizations and this capital advantage provides opportunities for staff and faculty and students to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
As one of the 2023 Top 100 Employers in Canada and one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for nine consecutive years, Carleton University is one of Canada’s most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university’s smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. At Carleton, we are committed to fostering an innovative, equitable and welcoming work environment. Carleton is also a nationally certified Healthy Workplace and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work.
The university’s Strategic Integrated Plan 2020-2025 is an ambitious vision for the future, anchored in Carleton’s strengths and student-centric, community-engaged values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Campus Safety Officers are security guards licensed under the Ontario Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005. Under the general supervision of the Shift Manager, and in support of the objectives of Campus Safety Services for Carleton University, the Campus Safety Officer is a member of a team of public safety specialists responsible for providing personal safety for members of the university community in a courteous, helpful and professional manner. This position provides a highly visual deterrent to campus crime while protecting the property and assets of the university.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Criminal Code of Canada and provincial statutes as well as the University policies
• Knowledge of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and its application in the field of law enforcement
• Thorough understanding of the authorities related to arrest, search and seizure
• Is expected to remain current in new and amended legislation that is pertinent to the position
• Understanding and knowledge of the concepts and application of community-based policing model
• Able to interact and transfer information within a team environment as well as instruct when and where required in areas of expertise
• Excellent knowledge of conflict resolution and negotiation skills
• Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing – through security reports, complaint and witness statements, and in assisting and providing general information to the university community and visitors while demonstrating attention to detail
• High degree of tact and diplomacy dealing with the university community under a variety of difficult situations. This position requires the incumbent to provide general information to the community and in other situations when “instructions” may have to be given to violators of university regulations
• Able to deal with complex issues, quickly determine appropriate actions and respond in a composed, self-assured manner while dealing with highly stressful situations and persons in crisis
• Be self-motivated and work with limited direct supervision
• Show initiative performing daily duties and identifying and solving problems;
• Must demonstrate sensitivity toward the cultural diversity of the campus community
• Understand the principles of service excellence
• Must be able to operate a patrol vehicle safely and within standards
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• High School Diploma. Completion of Post-Secondary Education or OPC may be preferred
• Valid security guard license as defined in the Ontario Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005
• Valid first aid certificate (Standard level) with CPR level C from WSIB recognized provider
• Valid Canadian issued Driver’s License
• Minimum 2 years of full-time experience working in law enforcement or security role or demonstrated experience providing support for individuals in a challenging and complex work environment that requires the ability to prioritize work, maintain composure under stress and asses with life safety issues.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is regularly required to work on campus. Due to the ongoing dynamic nature of Covid-19, you may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements. If this happens, you will work with your direct manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. You are required to follow all directives to set up a safe and confidential workspace in a remote location and ensure all Carleton property (intellectual and other) is safeguarded. If required to work remotely, you will be notified by your manager when working full time physically onsite will resume.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.