Do you have a passion for wildlife? Do you want to help protect one of the UK’s most exciting
places for nature, the internationally important Somerset Levels & Moors? Do you have an
interest in conservation grazing? We are currently looking for an energetic and skilled Estate
Worker to help manage the RSPB’s Somerset Grassland Reserves, in one of the most important
wetlands in the country, for both wildlife and people.
The role is based at our West Sedgemoor Reserve with the main work areas being on the grassland
reserve there, with occasional work at Greylake and woodlands at Swell Wood. You will be
helping to manage a reserve, that is arguably the most important site for breeding curlew and
snipe in lowland England, in an area that is a key location for colonising wetland species in
The successful candidate will carry out daily livestock checks, electric fencing as well as ATV
and tractor work. There will also be the opportunity to help deliver practical habitat and
estate management in the Somerset Levels and Moors. You will be an important member of a large
team including residential and day volunteers. Your own personal development will be an
important part of your objectives in this role and the diversity and size of the estate
provides plenty of opportunity for this.
The applicant should enjoy working independently or with others as part of a team when
required, as well as being able to cope with the physical demands of the role in all weather
conditions. The role will require regular weekend working as well as Bank Holidays.
Key areas of work will include:
- Undertaking daily livestock checks and assisting with the welfare of livestock to ensure we
meet all animal welfare and cross compliance legislation.
- Maintenance of livestock infrastructure to ensure they are operating as required.
- Routine operation, record keeping, servicing and maintenance of machinery and vehicles to
ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Habitat management and grounds maintenance to ensure conservation and visitor experience
targets are being met.
- Keeping up to date health and safety records to ensure compliance with health and safety
regulations and to enable improvements to be set.
- Build collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders including
colleagues, graziers, neighbours, volunteers and contractors.
- Being responsible for completing all above tasks in compliance with Health & Safety
policy to minimise risk to the RSPB.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Machinery and equipment operations.
- Practical land management experience and delivering estate management works.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Livestock management.
- Knowledge/understanding of nature conservation.
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in ATV, tractors, toppers, pesticide use, brushcutters
This is a fixed-term role for 6 months, full-time for 37.5 hours per week. The RSPB reserves
the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on
business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 25 March 2024. For further
information please contact [email protected].
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including
evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels
supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world
richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of
colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate,
sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled,
we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any
additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have
a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this internship posting.