Johnson County Community College
Position, Department: Evening ESL Instructor, Continuing Education , Continuing Education & Workforce Development
Type of Position: Non-Credit Instructor, Exempt
Work Schedule, Hours per week: M/W or T/Th 5:00 pm-9:00pm
Pay Range: $23.00 per hour and determined based on relevant years of work experience.
Benefits Category: Limited benefits
Position Summary: JCCC is searching for non-credit instructors to teach English to non-native speakers by emphasizing reading, vocabulary development, listening, speaking, writing and grammar in a student-centered classroom environment.
Non-credit instructors will:
- Teach digital literacy, civics/citizenship, workplace skills and life skills.
- Learn and implement the required curriculum.
- Utilize on-line resources to teach in a classroom setting.
- Create lesson plans. (Submission of weekly lesson plans to lead instructor is required).
- Maintain student charts and attendance records.
- Complete quarterly reports.
- Participate in new student intake activities such as registration and testing.
- Work with community literacy volunteers.
- Participate in staff development activities both on-line and in-person.
- Fill in periodically for other teachers.
- Complete annual mandatory training and administrative requirements.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Be observed and incorporate recommendations.
Please note: these positions are not located on the main JCCC campus. They are located at our West Park and Center of Grace (Olathe) locations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education (K-12), English as a Second Language or related area
- Create and implement lesson plans
- Learn and teach prescribed curriculum
- Create and maintain a student-centered classroom
- Demonstrate classroom management skills
- Work with multi-level learners
- Experience working with a culturally diverse population
- Experience working with Microsoft office applications
- Be flexible and operate in a constantly changing teaching environment
- Work a flexible schedule
- Experience working with English language learners in a classroom setting
- Minimum of one year teaching in a classroom setting, not individual tutoring
- TESOL certificate from an accredited university or Master’s degree in teaching English as a Second Language
- Experience teaching adult learners
- Experience working with Google Classroom
To be considered for this position we will require an application and resume.
Duties and responsibilities, as required by business necessity, may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. Scheduling, shift assignments and work location may be changed at any time, as required by business necessity.
Diversity Statement: Here at Johnson County Community College, we seek to inspire positive change for our students, faculty, and staff through promoting growth and development of all individuals. We aim to create a sense of belonging, accepting all values, life experiences, and perspectives on our campus. We are seeking individuals who will bring their true, authentic selves to JCCC so we can broaden perspectives with innovative ideas, interests, and passions, while fostering and promoting our diversity commitments to our community. We believe that engaging all of our unique employees is the key to students’ success. You belong here.
About JCCC: Established in 1969, Johnson County Community College is dedicated to transforming lives and strengthening communities through learning. Located in Overland Park, Kansas, JCCC has enjoyed a national reputation for educational excellence and student success for more than 50 years. That’s five decades dedicated to smaller class sizes, more resources and a thriving campus culture – not to mention our competitive tuition rates and extracurricular experiences that transcend the norm.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johnson County Community College (JCCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. JCCC provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Disclosure: If you need any assistance throughout the search process, please reach out to the HR Generalist for this position. In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email [email protected].
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.