The International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) is a global sexual and reproductive health (SRH) service provider and one of the leading advocates for universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) for all. IPPF is a worldwide movement of 120 national organizations, referred to as Member Associations, working with and for communities and individuals. These member associations are the leading civil society providers of contraception in 89 of 120 countries. And in 64 of those 89 countries, IPPF is the only largescale international provider. Collectively, member associations delivered more than 1 billion cumulative services between 2016 and 2022.
Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, the overarching goal of IPPF Africa Region (IPPFAR) is to increase access to SRHR services to the most vulnerable youth, men, and women in sub-Saharan Africa. To reach this goal, IPPFAR works with local civil-society organizations, governments, the African Union (AU), regional economic commissions (RECs), the United Nations, among others, to expand political and financial commitments to SRHR in Africa. IPPFAR tackles the continent’s growing SRH challenges through a network of Member Associations (MAs), strategic partners and volunteers in 42 countries. For more information, please read our 2022 profile (in English and French) here.
The position is responsible for working with the Senior Finance Officer and the Head of Corporate Services, in overseeing and ensuring compliances with local legislative and internal financial and administrative policies and processes in accordance with IPPF guidelines and procedures.
- Support the senior finance officer and the head of corporate services, in overseeing and ensuring compliances with local legislative and internal financial policies and processes in accordance with the global finance manual. These will include but not be limited to: processing of expenses/ payments, preparing and paying the payroll dues, maintaining cash controls – including petty cash -, supporting the sub-granting (where needed), maintaining accounts payable and receivables, ensuring timely statutory deductions and remittances, month-end and year end processes, preparing financial statements/ reports, as and where required.
- Assist the senior finance office in ensuring stewardship, accountability, and transparency at all levels through the active resourcing and empowerment of the organization and partners and assist in minimizing risk exposure to the organization’s operations.
- Enter and facilitate processing payments in a timely and accurate manner, in alignment with the global finance manual:
- invoices/ bills/ payment demands including payroll, suppliers, expenses and statutory payments. – per diem (cash payments) requests and settlement of travel and workshop advances – all inflows including donations, grants, intercompany receipts, advance returns, etc. – journals relating to advance adjustments, outstanding reconciliation items, payroll posting, etc. o quarterly payment requests ensuring accurate and timely payment to secretariat office.
- Timely and accurate
- processing and posting of payroll and fixed assets in NetSuite. – posting of rectifications entries to address unreconciled differences, if any, identified through reconciliation of Bank and/ or Balance sheet. – manner update master data elements in NetSuite. This includes data relating to suppliers, partners, employees, donors, chart of accounts, etc., in accordance with global policies and frameworks. – Support to IPPFAR staff in using NetSuite.
- Supervision of cash collections and banking balancing and reconciling cash books on daily basis.
- Support the senior finance officer, relationships management with bankers, local auditors, statutory bodies, local vendors, and others.
- Liaise with local suppliers and staff on any payment and reconciliation issues.
- Support the Head of corporate services and senior finance officer, in delivering timely and accurate budgets & forecasts.
- Examine/ analyse queries raised by the internal and/ or external auditors and generate on a timely manner and accurate reports and responses as required.
- Remain abreast of the latest financial and compliance requirements and best practices.
- Ensure fixed asset registration, tagging, reconciliation and reporting.
- Responsible for the administration of the IPPFAR office in Nairobi;
- Coordinates and provides logistics support to conferences, workshops, meetings and all office internal and external events;
- Maintains the day to day logistical and administrative set up of the office by ensures that what is necessary for staff to work in a smooth environment is provided;
- Manages the office assets and is responsible for the development, maintenance and update of the database of office assets;
- Manage the procurement of goods for the office stationery, and other office items and advise supervisor when there are issues with office materials, including IT;
- Prepares the arrival of new staff members by dealing with all administrative and logistical arrangements, including transportation with the support of the Expedition and General Assistant;
- Identifies providers, implements and reports on special logistics operations;
- Provides and coordinates logistics support to security and health and safety components of the office;
- Drafts and coordinates logistical plans and other documents supporting the implementation of logistical operations as recommended by the security advisor and people culture and organisational development manager;
- Responsible for organising bids in collaboration with the operations department for office services such as cleaning and security;
- Supervises the work of the Expedition and General Assistant and works closely with the cleaners and security guards;
- Administrates all initiatives to change and improve the office culture and organisational development as directed by supervisor;
- Takes minutes, prepares briefing notes and administrative documents as necessary;
- Liaises and coordinates all logistics support within the office as well as with with host government entities;
- Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- Ensures that logistics requirements take account of gender-specific needs;
- Performs other duties are requested by supervisor.
- Support and enable a safe environment, adhering to the safeguarding reporting and monitoring requirements of this role.
Key Skills/ Expertise:
- Diploma in Accounts; ACCA/CPA level 2 or equivalent a plus
- Solid Knowledge of accounting principles, financial systems, budget /cash – flow monitoring and internal accounting controls
- Experience in finance, accounting/bookkeeping activities, auditing, business administration or related field preferably in NGO Sector
- Computer literate in Ms. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Subscribe to IPPF’s Policies, Mission, Vision, and values and IPPFAR’s, Procedures, rules and regulations
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Willingness to travel if deemed necessary by the supervisor.
- Focus on continuous improved results/performance
- Sound judgment.
- Initiative and ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Flexibility and willing to work outside normal working hours when the exigencies of service so demand
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required, and knowledge of French is desirable.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding in a local and international context.
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to work in a diverse, multicultural, multilingual and intergenerational environment that is anti-racist and respectful of others.
- An intersectional (pro) feminist passionate about sexual reproductive health care rights + justice.
- Supportive of people’s rights regardless of sexuality or gender identity/expression and supportive of worker’s rights and access to health care in sex work.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of (related field). Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
How to apply
Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV form and a 1-page cover letter to: [email protected] with the job position you are applying for as the subject of the email by 9 May 2023.
Please note that IPPFAR will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
For more details about this position and to download the TORs, please click HERE
IPPF is an equal-opportunity employer. As a leading global human rights organization focused on equality, empowerment, ending discrimination, and poverty eradication, we internally reflect social justice principles. We, as IPPF, strongly oppose racism in all its forms and resolutely go for a cultural change that will shift the existing imbalances in power and process.
Applications are particularly encouraged from women, persons living with disability, and candidates openly living with HIV.
IPPF is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees, volunteers, contractors and partners to share this commitment. Anyone employed with IPPF agrees to sign and adhere to IPPF’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding (Children and Vulnerable Adults) Policy.