Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
- Job Grade: D1. Contracts can be national or international.
- Reporting to: Country Representative,
- Coordination: Humanitarian Lead, Gender Justice Policy and Program Manager, HR Officer, MEAL Officer, Business development manager
- Staff reporting to this post: None
- Locations: Mozambique, Zambezia Province (Quelimane)
To promote Gender equality and provide gender expertise in how to mainstream gender in Oxfam programs and projects and within Oxfam Office
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Safeguards that gender mainstreaming is at the centre of all Oxfam programs
- Be updated, undertake or directs gender research and make analysis of the situation of gender transformative initiatives in the Mozambican society, particularly gender related beliefs, attitudes, policies and practices;
- Participates actively in the country, regional and global development environment on gender and women’s rights to both identify opportunities to increase women’s empowerment and to foster strategic institutional alliances and networks that enhance sharing, learning and collective action;
- Ensure that the gender transformative agenda is consciously embedded in all of Oxfam’s program and operational decisions;
- Develops and implements a plan on how to increase gender awareness and gender equality in the Oxfam Office in co-operation with CR and HR officer;
- Synthesise data and information to share with staff to promote discussion and dialogue as part of the capacities and skills development process related to gender and women’s rights;
- Signals bottlenecks and identifies opportunities for improvements in own work area and proposes them to the CR.
Program support on gender sensitisation
- Co creates with Program Team, gender sensitive and transformative project proposals and provides input in making gender-equality a measurable subject in project proposals/project plans;
- Provides gender awareness assessments within the Oxfam office and for partners in co-operation with Program Officers;
- Monitors that gender is incorporated in each proposal in co-operation with the Funding Officer and provide information on gaps to CR;
- In cooperation with MEAL officer have measurable indicators defined to increase gender equality in Oxfam Programs;
- Ensures that adequate resources (funds and time) are budgeted and planned to increase Oxfam staff knowledge and awareness on gender equality and women’s rights;
- Provides management information/reports to which extent gender mainstreaming is incorporated in Oxfam Programs in terms of allocated resources and incorporation of gender in Oxfam Programs and in new proposals;
- Works in an interactive and coordinated manner with the program managers/coordinators and identify internal and external key actors within and across programs to achieve an integrated approach that supports the gender aspects of the overall country strategy;
- Builds capacity of Oxfam staff by using Oxfam tools and methodologies and others to guarantee implementation of the Oxfam gender transformative and women’s rights mission;
- Represents Oxfam internally and externally on all issues related to gender transformative ensuring that Oxfam in Mozambique is viewed as the “to go agency” on gender transformative and women’s rights topics.
Partner capacity building, advice and support
- Develops and implement a capacity building plan in increasing towards gender transformative sustainable change with partners;
- Ensure in collaboration with program officers that appropriate standards and relevant approaches are used for each partner arrangement;
- Support program officers during identification, assessment and relationship-building with potential partners (operational, strategic and alliance-based) using Oxfam tools and methodologies.
Technical Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Academic degree in social science or other relevant area for this position.
- Working experience in gender transformative and women’s rights area (5 years).
- Extensive knowledge and experience in implementing gender transformative and women’s rights initiatives, in both development and humanitarian programs, ideally built on mature understanding of relevant issues derived from field experience.
- Experience in working with networks, coalitions and a partnership approach across the spectrum of Oxfam’s work, including innovative approaches to capacity strengthening.
- Experience in working with multi-sectorial teams at different levels.
- Good knowledge of the social, economic and political context of Mozambique and neighbouring African countries.
- Some experience in proposal and report writing, fundraising, MEAL, lobby and advocacy
- Leaderships skills, facilitating, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong experience in capacity building and training of teams on achieving gender equality
- Ability to build on and contribute to sustainable development focusing on gender transformative and women’s rights initiatives.
- Ability to engage and work in line with the corporate direction, contributing to and following up on the ongoing development of program policies and quality, to enhance the impact of Oxfam’s work.
- Some experience in analytical and conceptual thinking, research experience and project management.
- Knowledge and skills in using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment, program identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Good level of communication skills verbally and written in Portuguese and English.
- Work in multicultural environment and under stress.
- Be timely and result focused.
Key Behavioural Competencies
Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
Vision Setting: We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
Enabling: We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position. Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
How to apply
- Do you believe that this is the job you are looking for? Then we would love to receive your application! Be aware that only applications received before the closing date (Sunday 7th of May) and submitted via our application portal will be taken into consideration. Click here to apply: https://jobs.oxfamnovib.nl/job-invite/12890/
- If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Ocatvio Nhampule: [email protected]
- This job opening is posted internally and externally, simultaneously. Internal candidates are given preference if they are sufficiently qualified or can be obtained in short term. We believe it’s important in our organization that our employees are offered maximum opportunities for growth in new themes and competencies. Priority for internal candidates supports this.