INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title : Head of Programme
Duty station: Maiduguri (with field visits to other field locations in Borno State, Adamawa and Abuja)
Starting date: 01/03/2024
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: of Mission
Supervision of: Medical Coordinator, Protection Coordinator, 2 Programme Manages, 3 technical managers.
Functional Supervisor: Deputy Regional Director
Type of duty station: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
With over a decade of conflict, there have been devastating humanitarian consequences across North-East (Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe (BAY) states) and North-West Nigeria. According to the Humanitarian Needs Overview 2023, an estimated 8.3 million women, men, and children need some humanitarian and protection assistance. Over 2 million people have been forced to flee their homes due to persistent violence and remain internally displaced. Food insecurity and malnutrition are exacerbated by inflation, poverty, and restricted access due to insecurity, which impedes livelihood opportunities. Gender-based violence (GBV) has been a significant protection concern faced by IDP women and girls in the area. Numerous basic infrastructures like hospitals, clinics, and water supplies are damaged, posing constraints on essential service provision. Epidemics like cholera arising from flooding and overcrowded settings put extra stress on the already vulnerable communities.
In support of the coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS has been implementing integrated projects addressing critical gaps in protection, health and nutrition, WASH, food security & livelihoods, and Camp Coordination and Camp Management for the vulnerable population in 4 States in Nigeria (Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Zamfara), with funding support from BHA, ECHO, WFP, UNHCR, UNDP, etc.
General purpose of the position
The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programme strategy across the country and for providing programme management oversight for all the sectors. S/he will ensure quality, effectiveness, coherence and compliance of our programmes.
S/he is also responsible for developing policies, SOPs, mechanisms, and standards within the respective area of responsibility. S/he will enable and oversee the programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects across the country. S/he is also responsible for the development of the portfolio, ensuring consistent donors reporting, internal and external representation. Ultimately, s/he will be active in high-level and strategic decision-making, collaborating closely with the Head of Mission and other SMT members.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Strategy and vision
● Support the Head of Mission in development and updating of the country strategy, within INTERSOS overall global strategic plan, values and principles
● Constant in-depth analysis of humanitarian context, trends, gaps, challenges, and opportunities
●Share ideas and programme recommendations, supporting and implementing continuous improvement on activities, processes and procedures to optimise results and improve quality of delivery in line with quality standards
● Determine, set and deliver goals and objectives for the programme team in line with the mission strategic objectives
● Develop in collaboration with technical referents, high-quality programme strategies, proposals and processes that are relevant to context and needs and conducive to the achievement of targets
● Foster synergies between program areas and sectors and promote an integrated approach
● Develop holistic and needs-based programmes, identifying funding opportunities and strategic partnerships. Lead the integration of gender, protection and conflict sensitivity mainstreaming as well as safeguarding across all programs.
● Design and roll-out creative and innovative programming, lead assessments for rapid response or scale-up programming in existing or new areas of intervention
● Together with the Head of Mission, create and implement best practice programme management vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve organizational performance
● Supervise the design of standards and processes with technical referents at the Mission level.
● As part of the SMT, pursue effective and efficient mechanisms for collaboration among the program teams and the operational teams in resolving issues and enhancing systems
● Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals
● Ensure programme coordination and coherence across the portfolio
● Ensure effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies, legal frameworks and specific donor conditions and requirements
● Ensure programme and project reviews are regularly and effectively conducted, monitor the delivery of programmes based on work plan
● Trigger and oversee the design of concept notes, proposals and budgets for cost-related activities in coordination with Programme Managers in line with INTERSOS and donors’ requirements
● Ensure timely communication and information flow on programme achievements to internal and external parties
● Proactively identify risk factors in programme delivery and mitigate with effective measures
● Review and oversee implementation of the partnership strategy including management tools, guidelines, and other resources as needed to effectively management partnerships
Accountability and quality control
● Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards
● Explore innovative solutions to improve the impact on programme
● Oversee the programme development, implementation, ensuring targets and quality are respected in laboration with MEAL department.
● Ensure quality implementation of the MEAL process and feedback on the learning into programme development with fine-tuning of existing SOPs and mechanisms
● Ensure the appropriate systems and procedures are established and followed, ensuring best practices in project management are developed and adopted with appropriate programme management frameworks in place
● Adopt an evidence-based approach that sees the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices
Representation and advocacy
● Proactively establish strong and effective partnerships with donors, institutions, and relevant line ministries, in line with the country strategy and in coordination with the Head of Mission
● Actively represent INTERSOS in relevant coordination fora to ensure the credibility of the Mission
● Contribute to the definition of the country advocacy strategy and advocate for the vulnerable communities in relevant national/ international platforms with agreed strategies
● Upon delegation of authority, act as of Mission when needed
● Supervise and guide the program team (Programme Managers, Technical Coordinators, managers of FSL, WASH & MEAL), ensuring timely supervision and regular support to maximize efficient performance
● Ensure the Ways of Working among Programme Managers and Technical Leads are fully respected and implemented
● Communicate with the program team on programme status, risks and issues in an appropriate and timely manner. Ensure regular and timely communication between project team members
● Monitor the completion of tasks and ensure good performance and record on appropriate systems
● Motivate and coach the program team. Communicate key performance Indicators (KPIs) to the staff so that they are aware of the strategic annual plan
● Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member understands the standards and the behaviours expected
● In collaboration with HR Coordinator, undertake continuous training and staffs’ development. Inspire the team and provide technical expertise
●In collaboration with Protection and/or Medical coordinator, support the identification and deployment of the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required
Required profile and experience
Master’s degree in international development, social sciences, humanitarian assistance or other relevant field; or Bachelor’s degree major in the above-mentioned with at least 7 years of experience at senior level.
●At least five years’ experience at Senior Management level in humanitarian service in INGO setting
● Solid experience in setting up new projects and programmes and of developing and implementing departmental and organisational strategies
● Strong experience of planning, budgeting and executing complex strategies
●Excellent coordination, communication, organizational and planning skills, with the capacity of being inclusive and participatory
●Possess the ability to work flexibly in a diverse team in a dynamic environment, fostering a positive working environment, and manage issues sensitively and diplomatically.
●Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills with the ability develop strong interpersonal relationships to facilitate communication and support partner and staff.
● Experience in managing medical, protection and interdepartmental technical staff an advantage
Full professional proficiency in English (verbal and written)
● Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
● Strategic vision
● Leadership, people management and development
● Planning and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
● Teamwork and cooperation
● Negotiation and networking skills
● Behavioural flexibility
● Innovation and creativity
● Decision-making and influence
● Communication skills written and oral
● Excellent budget/financial management skills
● Commitment to INTERSOS principles
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship),sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HRreferent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.