St. Joseph County Government
Position: Health Officer
Department: St. Joseph County
Department of Health
Location: 8 th and 9 th Floors – 227 W. Jefferson Boulevard, South Bend, IN 46601
Salary Range: $200,000 to $250,000
Status: Full time or Part time
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Health Officer is responsible for three critical functions:
I. Fulfills legal requirements for a Health Officer as set forth in the Indiana Code.
II. Works in coordination with state and local officials, the Board of Health, and community members to further public and environmental health in St. Joseph County.
III. Administers St. Joseph County Department of Health and oversees Department of Health activities.
1. Provides leadership and supervision to Department of Health Unit Directors and employees.
2. Ensures policies and procedures for existing and new programs and services are developed, documented, maintained, and reviewed in a timely manner.
3. Oversees and assists Unit Directors in hiring Department of Health employees.
4. Oversees and consults with appropriate Department of Health personnel and the St. Joseph County Human Resources Director before employee termination or any disciplinary action of employees involving probation, demotion, or violations of Department of Health or St. Joseph County employment policies and procedures.
5. In role as Secretary of the Board of Health, oversees keeping minutes of all Board of Health meetings.
6. Assures full and permanent records of public health work of the Department of Health are maintained, as required by statute.
7. Oversees presentation of a monthly report of the work done by the Department of Health to the Board of Health.
8. Oversees submission of reports of local Department of Health activities to the Indiana Department of Health, as required by statute and Indiana Department of Health rules.
9. Attends meetings with the Indiana Department of Health, when requested by the Indiana Department of Health, for consultation concerning any matter of public health.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of all financial aspects of Department of Health and St. Joseph County budgets, and works with department heads and Department of Health administrator to develop annual budget.
11. Works with Department of Health’s legal counsel to understand and adhere to relevant statutory law governing duties of the Health Officer and St. Joseph County Department of Health.
12. Participates in the Board of Health’s Strategic Planning process and development of a Strategic Plan for the Department of Health.
Serves as Medical Expert and Advisor
1. Enforces the health laws, ordinances, orders, rules, and regulations of the state and local boards of health as required by statute.
2. Oversees the development of community educational programs on public health topics.
3. Provides expertise in the development of new services programs as required by statute, including reviewing the design of the proposed program or service.
4. Leads the evaluation of Department of Health’s programs and services, and makes recommendations for prioritization, modification, and upgrading as necessary.
5. Communicates with and makes formal presentations to the Board of Health, Saint Joseph County’s governing bodies, community agencies, and the news media.
6. Maintains required medical board certification and Indiana state licensure.
7. Assists in setting and monitoring progress of goals and priorities for programs and services.
8. Supervises clinical services offered at the St. Joseph County Department of Health or collaborative agency.
Plans, Promotes, and Conducts Performance Improvement
1. Ensures a systematic approach to problem resolution.
2. Assists department heads in planning, conducting, and scheduling training and orientation to assure ongoing quality improvement.
3. Attends and participates in workshops, seminars, and other continuing education as needed to maintain knowledge of changes and development in public health.
4. Maintains clear, positive, and transparent communication with the Board of Health and elected County officials, especially regarding Department of Health planning and operation.
5. Promotes a positive organizational culture by fostering teamwork and mutual respect.
1. Unrestricted license to practice medicine in Indiana required.
2. Administrative and grant development experience preferred.
3. Demonstrates outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including ability to facilitate discussions.
4. Demonstrates ability to identify and resolve barriers to delivering high quality services.
5. Demonstrates strong commitment to developing, supporting, and accomplishingDepartment of Health’s vision and strategic goals.
6. Acts with proper decorum at all public meetings and when interacting with elected and appointed officials, employees, and members of the public.
Additional questions may be directed to Jennifer S. Parcell, Executive Administrative Assistant of the St. Joseph County Department of Health at 574-235-9750, Option 9 for Administration, then Press 4 for Administration or by email at: [email protected].
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
227 W. Jefferson Blvd South Bend, IN 46601
Apply to: https://www.sjcindiana.com/jobs
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.