Vancouver Island University
Teach all aspects of theory and practical skills required for the Carpentry component of the Trades Discovery Program. Ensure program standards are maintained, prepare and develop course as appropriate, maintain and submit student evaluation and grading. Work in a team approach to deliver both classroom and practical objectives in shop operations while promoting safety standards as a priority.
Candidates must demonstrate commitment to teaching, learning, and student success. Successful candidates will participate in activities outside the classroom including student support and department committees.
Carpentry Interprovincial Trade Qualification plus five years recent relevant experience working in the trade with an emphasis on residential construction.
- Provincial Instructor Diploma or equivalent (if in progress, to be completed within 2 years).
- Familiarity with and demonstrated skills in teaching adults.
- Proven ability in classroom management.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and excellent interpersonal skills.
- A high level of energy and enthusiasm is essential.
- Proven positive interpersonal skills in dealing with students.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team comprised of administrators, instructors and support staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer applications appropriate to the teaching environment.
- Successful candidates will be responsive to diverse cultural and academic backgrounds and learning styles.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and have a confirmed satisfactory driving record.
- Valid OFA Level 2 Certificate required.
- Familiarity with Vancouver Island University programs, policies and procedures.
- Some supervisory experience.
VIU is pleased to offer eligible employees a comprehensive benefit plan; ample paid holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan. As part of the VIU campus community, our employees work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and are provided with the tools and training that promote learning and development. The perks of VIU employment are multiple, and include well-being initiatives and services, strategic discounts, and flexible work opportunities.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for faculty, staff, and students. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the VIU community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.