New Jersey Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory
- New Jersey Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory
- Cape May, NJ
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- $14.25/hour. Housing may be provided.
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- INTERPRETIVE NATURALISTS (3) needed for fall migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory (CMBO), Cape May, NJ. Cape May is renowned as one of the world’s greatest hotspots for animal migration, as well as being a popular summertime vacation destination and beach resort. The combination of the two offers great opportunities for wildlife research and education through public outreach. The Interpretive Naturalists will gain valuable experience in progressing from an active learner to a skilled leader with a clear understanding of the ways in which we are working to monitor and protect New Jersey’s resident and migratory wildlife, and the ability to engage a diverse public audience to become stewards of these important resources. NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
Seasonal full-time (August 25 – October 31, 2023)
• Orienting and assisting visitors to the Cape May Hawkwatch, Avalon Seawatch, and Morning Flight Songbird Counts. Over 800 people may visit per day during peak times!
• Conducting mini-workshops on bird identification and migration phenomena.
• Assisting visitors with bird identification and assisting the counters when needed.
• Maintaining records of visitor contacts.
• Assist with the design and maintenance of interpretive exhibits, displays, and other center-based informational materials.
• Strive to increase NJ Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory membership base.
• Represent NJ Audubon in the local community, expanding the organization’s presence to increase local awareness, support, and participation.
• Obtain satisfactory background check.
• Participates with other NJ Audubon staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the assigned center.
• Assume additional responsibilities as required.
- QUALIFICATIONS/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Familiarity with bird migration and birding. Experience identifying raptors, passerines, and/or sea birds in flight is a plus but learning on the job is possible and we will provide training and support.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Excellent oral communication skills required.
• Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
• Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
• Must have your own vehicle, a valid driver’s license, and be able to operate vehicle in NJ.
• Must have the physical capacity to walk over uneven terrain for long distances, able to move materials and to lift 25 lbs.
Starting Date: August 25, 2023
End Date: October 31, 2023
Salary: $14.25/hour. Housing may be provided.
Application Deadline: June 16, 2023.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and three references (including contact information) as a single PDF document to [email protected]
Please write “Interpretative Naturalist Application” in the subject line so that your application is routed to the appropriate department for review.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Contact Person
- Human Resources
- Contact eMail
- [email protected]
Bookmark the permalink .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.