United Nations Documentation Division, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified linguistic and cultural mediator to support the implementation of the Project “Torino Street CARE 3.0” in support of homeless people and women with migratory background in Torino, Italy.
About the job
DRC Italy works to provide services that range from legal counselling to protection monitoring and inclusion of third-country nationals in Italy. The main areas of intervention include legal aid, social housing and socio-economic integration of third-country nationals, social cohesion, health and protection of vulnerable categories, mainly irregular migrants, asylum seekers and refugees. Within the framework of the “Torino Street CARE 3.0 project”, DRC Italy will provide socio-legal orientation to migrants, asylum seekers and refugees living on the street and individual health support to vulnerable women with migratory background. Both activities will be conducted by professional staff and will require linguistic and cultural mediation.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Linguistic and cultural mediation activities during orientation interviews and medical checks with project’s beneficiaries providing quality interpretation that takes into account cultural aspects and facilitates the relationship between beneficiaries and project staff.
- Contributing to the beneficiaries’ understanding of the relevant context, regulations and laws, and providing support for the follow-up of the individual cases.
- Socio-legal orientation activities: in collaboration with the legal aid officer, advising on norms and rights related to legal status and residence and collaboration with public and private social territorial services (health registry, municipal registry, services dedicated to migrants, police headquarters, prefectures…).
- Socio-health orientation activities about integration opportunities in the City of Turin, National Health System, norms and rights related to health protection.
- Translation of documents from Italian into Arabic and vice versa, when relevant for project activities
- Participation in project’s meetings, both internal and external (when relevant) to monitor and evaluate the project progress and define any interventions if needed.
- Elaboration and translation of information material for project’s beneficiaries.
To be successful in this role we expect you to provide a high-quality interpretation that considers cultural aspects and therefore facilitates a balanced and trust-based relationship between beneficiaries and project staff.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 2 years of professional experience as cultural mediator in socio-legal and/or health support with organizations (public or private) dealing with migrants and refugees.
- Diploma in cultural mediation/Secondary school diploma or equivalent/Professional courses and/or training in interpreting and cultural mediation.
- Full professional knowledge of Italian and Arabic.
- Knowledge of migration dynamics, target populations, and Italian culture and organizations.
- Good aptitude for working in multidisciplinary teams and good interpersonal skills, also with public officers and institutions
- Spoken and written communication in French, English or another relevant language is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 months, renewable depending on performance and funding.
Designation of Duty Station: Turin
Start date: June 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for DRC Italy and with Italian Labour law.
For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Francesca Pisano, [email protected].
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 02 May 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu.net) you saw this internship posting.