University of Calgary
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
The Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking under the VP Research invites applications for a Manager, Marketing and Communiations. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 3 years (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Hunter Hub, and working collaboratively with central units as well as all innovation organizations and faculties of the university, the Marketing and Communications Manager will devise and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan to raise the profile of the Hunter Hub and innovation activities at UCalgary. S/he will lead a team to create, communicate and deliver impactful and inspiring community communications and content and find media opportunities that promote the University’s innovators and activities in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation.
Success in this role is defined by building our community across all channels, reaching the greatest number of individuals and faculties across the University and beyond (via advertising, media and partnerships) to helping to build the University’s brand in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation via communications, content, and outreach/community engagement initiatives and events. By 2030, the University’s goal is for all students to be aware of entrepreneurial thinking and 50% of the student population to have been involved in innovation experiences at some stage during their programs.
This position will be a in a fast-moving, innovative environment with a high volume of visible, complex work. There will be competing demands based on multiple deadlines and the incumbent must communicate regularly with many stakeholders with a high degree of professionalism and judgement.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Integrated Marketing Communications Strategy
- Define strategic positioning and develop a strategic marketing communications plan to raise the profile of the Hunter Hub and the university innovation community. Devise key personas and strategies for each key stakeholder groups to ensure we reach a diversity of students, researchers, staff, faculty and alumni from different disciplines and backgrounds with our communications and content.
- Work with the Hunter Hub leadership and team to design, build and deliver an annual calendar of entrepreneurial thinking and innovation communications and content for our programming and initiatives, which may involve one or more faculties or partner organizations.
- Seek to achieve excellence in creating impactful, inspiring communications and ensure a feedback loop from partners and stakeholders to constantly raise the bar for all marketing and communications.
- Work with Hunter Hub leadership to set KPIs to measure success and report monthly on them.
- Manage the Hunter Hub communication channels and liaise/coordinate with diverse faculty marketing and communications teams for the promotion of entrepreneurial thinking, innovation activities and to amplify innovators across the ecosystem and beyond as role models to inspire others.
- Contribute to the development of high impact communications plans with internal/external partners for all initiatives and coordinate their implementation working alongside the appropriate person(s) within the Hunter Hub team or externally.
- Professionalize and operationalize communication execution using project management best practices.
- Lead a project to refresh and reorganize the Hunter Hub website ensuring it is the ‘front door’ for all things entrepreneurial at the university.
- Lead events and initiatives (i.e. conference/tradeshow participation, co-branded events) that are primarily marketing and communications opportunities.
- Grow the University’s brand in entrepreneurial thinking through creating and marketing cutting edge content (i.e. articles, videos, case studies, etc.) that amplifies UCalgary’s innovators, thought leadership in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation, and related initiatives.
- Work with faculty, subject matter experts and stakeholders to develop cutting edge, relevant and engaging entrepreneurial thinking resources and materials for marcom channels and instructional materials for the classroom
- Source and negotiate services with external vendors and volunteers to create materials as needed.
- Support the Hunter Hub team to develop interesting, inspiring innovation events such as event series, hackathons and experiential learning events with different faculties, organizations, and experts.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Business, entrepreneurship, communications and/or education background with one or more university degrees in these fields, and is passionate about entrepreneurship and innovation. A Master’s degree is an asset.
- 7+ years operations, media relations and/or stakeholder relations experience. Demonstrated expertise in leading integrated marketing communications strategy and a marketing communications team. Experience building websites an asset.
- Experience with fundraising and working with corporate or other donors is an asset.
- Collaborative relationship builder with exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills. Experience with cross-faculty communications, initiatives, and/or partnerships in an academic environment is an advantage.
- Superior organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills required in order to deal effectively with complex tasks and multiple priorities and stakeholders. Demonstrated project planning skills and experience successfully running impactful, high quality, multi-stakeholder events and initiatives.
- Experience managing budgets and ensuring fiscal responsibility.
- The incumbent will have an in-depth knowledge of local innovation ecosystems; demonstrated experience in developing collaborative relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge and understanding of University plans and policies, as well as structure, governance, and decision-making processes is an asset. Understanding of human resource management and supervisory experience is required.
- Proactive and energetic self-starter dedicated to superior client service and able to successfully manage multiple competing priorities with minimal supervision and direction, who strives to exceed the needs of all stakeholders and partners.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office are required. Experience with University core business systems (Peoplesoft, eFIN, enterprise reporting, etc.) an asset.
Application Deadline: September 14, 2023
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Management Career Band, Level 1 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website .
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca .
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High , committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion ([email protected] ) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources ([email protected] ).
Do you have most but not all the qualifications? Research show that women, racialized and visible minorities , and persons with disabilities are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At UCalgary we are committed to achieving equitable, diverse, inclusive and accessible employment practices and workplaces and encourage you to apply if you believe you are right for this role.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.