University of Michigan
How to Apply
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter and include a portfolio of video and photography work on their resume.
The Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM) is seeking a Media Content Producer to be a part of our team. This team member will lead the creation of original social videos and other multimedia content, including photography, designed to engage, entertain and inform our target audience. Reporting to the Digital Communications Manager, you will work closely with a team of digital communications and marketing professionals and will contribute your video production and photography experience and your technical and cultural fluency in major social media platforms to help create engaging content that lives primarily on social media platforms. You can creatively shoot and build a sequence using just your phone to create short-form, quick-turn daily content, but also have experience using professional video equipment to create a more polished piece.
In addition to the responsibilities and qualifications listed below and most importantly, candidates must share and hold to the highest regard, the same values that are uniquely inherent to AAUM:
- You believe in our mission.
- You are trustworthy and loyal to AAUM and to each other.
- You are passionate about what we’re doing and proud to be a part of it.
- You are an employee who goes above and beyond the call of duty.
- You are committed to building a culture that keeps DEIJ at the heart of everything we do and recognizes and embraces the myriad of identities, experiences, and backgrounds of all staff, volunteers, and alumni.
- You are open and willing to listen to others and help in whatever way possible.
- You are dedicated to selflessly following the Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated.
- You are passionate about fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture.
- You are willing to put the needs of alumni and staff colleagues ahead of your own if that is what is best for AAUM.
- You are a creative problem solver.
- You are never satisfied with the status quo.
- You find a way to say “yes.”
- You embrace new ideas and approaches from different perspectives.
- You are collaborative, flexible, and adaptive.
- You incorporate DEIJ into every part of your work’s equation to boost relevance and value over time with evolving world views and demographics.
Who We Are
We enrich the University of Michigan’s impact by serving as an independent gateway for alums of all identities, backgrounds, and experiences – across the globe and in our neighborhoods – in order to create and deepen belonging to the Michigan Family, the Leaders and Best.
AAUM values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the continual development of a diverse staff who thrive and contribute to a positive, equitable and inclusive environment. Our commitment to DEI work is showcased here: https://alumni.umich.edu/about/diversity/ .
- Collaboratively brainstorm fun, creative and engaging story ideas with the communications team for ongoing short-form video content posted primarily on social media.
- Film and edit engaging social video and other multimedia content such as GIFs, photographs, or audio designed for a variety of social media platforms, including Instagram (feed posts and reels), Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Spend time on campus filming interesting and relevant events and building relationships with students, faculty and staff in order to generate story leads.
- Maintain knowledge of current best practices and be continuously following and studying social video trends.
- Collaborate closely with the Communications and Marketing team to identify story ideas that promote programmatic initiatives and align with our overarching strategy while being engaging to our audience, and translate those into short-form, social-friendly video content pieces.
- Manage the entire process of video production, including: all video pre-production scheduling, production, post-production, editing, color correction, sound mixing, motion graphics, captioning, and voice-over recording.
- Ability to capture well-composed static photographs to be used primarily for social media and digital purposes.
- Maintain videos and photos in our digital asset management system.
- Seek out opportunities to engage in topics and ensure stories are told with an emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide organizational leadership by demonstrating AAUM core values: All In, Serving Heart and Solution Seeker, and helping other staff members demonstrate those values.
- Value and embrace different identities and diversity of thought recognizing that everyone has unique and different experiences that contribute to the best solution seeking and success for AAUM.
- Work with AAUM staff members to gain a clear and consistent understanding of the details of the strategic plan and feel equal ownership of every piece of it, including pieces for which there is no direct responsibility.
- Be inclusive and collaborative with every other member of the staff and every other team. Operate as a critical contributing member of the staff to complete objectives in many different areas in order to move the whole organization toward the strategic plan.
- Support University Relations efforts by demonstrating AAUM value to campus units/partners (i.e., schools/colleges, campuses).
- Continually build digital skill sets in order to implement into work.
- Staff team and Alumni Association events.
- Provide staff support to the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, its committees, and other volunteers.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned or required.
- Participate in Alumni Association and other University committees as required.
- Share knowledge through internal communication.
- Support the Alumni Association’s vision of becoming more relevant to all alumni.
- Remain current with respect to technology and the University’s educational resources.
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in videography, communications, journalism, marketing, digital media, broadcast media or other appropriate field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 0-2 years of relevant experience in producing video for social media.
- Experience shooting videos with a phone as well as using professional video and camera equipment, including DSLRs or camcorders, mics, and lighting equipment.
- Experience editing videos and photos on a phone as well as in Adobe Premiere Pro or another major editing software, with some knowledge of additional software, like After Effects.
- Evidence of video creation skills with a link to an online portfolio of past work, which should include short-form, social-media-friendly-videos and exhibit an understanding of various digital platforms and audiences.
- Ability and interest in producing content that communicates engaging, relevant and entertaining stories to a broad and diverse target audience.
- Bonus: Experience creating stories and video content and maintaining your own YouTube, TikTok, or Instagram channel refreshed with regular videos/photos/stories on a weekly basis.
- Passion for diversity, equity, inclusion, justice and creating a sense of belonging.
- Ability to think strategically, including analyzing data, extracting trends and applying findings to improve products.
- Demonstrated ability and passion to build your own digital skill set.
- Team player and a strong attitude for collaboration.
- A proven ability to generate creative, innovative solutions to issues with a can-do attitude and a mindset to be results-driven.
- Ability to work effectively with leaders and colleagues in a multicultural and diverse environment.
AAUM is currently working in a hybrid work setting based on job duties. This position requires some in office time for all staff and team meetings.
AAUM welcomes applications from people of all abilities. This particular position requires the occasional moving of 10 lbs or less.
This position may require some evening and weekend work.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible , are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.