Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 10621
This position is located on-site at our facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
The Communications Division at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory seeks a media relations professional whose talent and experience will help to position the Lab among the world’s premier research institutions. The successful candidate will tell compelling stories about ORNL science and technology to reach diverse audiences through channels including news releases, feature stories, social media, and earned media in external publications, broadcasts, and strategic campaigns.
- Inform local, national, and international audiences about noteworthy ORNL accomplishments, highlighting the Laboratory’s outstanding staff and its leadership in diverse fields of science.
- Develop and implement plans to promote the Laboratory’s research, activities, services, programs, and events. Create publicity campaigns, develop targeted media lists, and devise strategies to amplify news content.
- Cultivate relationships with local, trade and national media outlets and identify opportunities to pitch stories about ORNL activities. Respond to media requests, facilitate interviews with lab experts and manage media visits.
- Assist in distribution of news content through the Lab’s internal and external digital news platforms.
- Prepare staff members to communicate effectively with media and other external audiences.
- Develop reports and metrics that demonstrate the value of earned media to leadership and other stakeholders.
- Assist in the production of video and multimedia presentations. Coordinate activities with audio/visual specialists, graphic artists, digital media staff, and others to support multiplatform storytelling.
- Serve as part of the Lab’s emergency response team performing communications or related support.
- Provide other writing and event support to the Communications Division.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass media communications, public relations, advertising, marketing, or a science-related field with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- Familiarity with layout and photography, web content management systems, and web analytics is a plus, as well as experience writing on scientific or technical topics for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong writing and editing skills with proficiency in the Associated Press (AP) style and usage guide.
- The successful candidate must be self-motivated, self-directed, results-focused, and committed to achieving goals.
- Creativity and attention to detail are essential, as is knowledge of planning, coordinating, and implementing effective public information activities.
- The successful candidate will have excellent written and interpersonal skills, familiarity with word-processing and presentation software, and proficiency in the use of social media and content management systems.
- The ability to balance multiple demands and perform professionally and capably under pressure is required.
- Experience creating short-form videos and working with a variety of media platforms.
- DOE or national laboratory experience also a plus.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position now or in the future. In order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected].
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.