UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a Champion!
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life – in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions – her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens – addressing inequity – not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
The national consultant will contribute to expanding and enhancing innovation within UNICEF Albania and Albanian Innovation Ecosystem in order to enable achieving results for children. This means, the post will support developing, mobilizing, and managing partnerships with public organizations, intergovernmental and international organizations and forums. In addition, it requires to forge and manage long-term partnerships with the general public and with the private sector to leverage resources to promote innovative solutions and change approaches to achieving results for children.
During 2023, Albania Country Office has initiated the development of an Office Innovation Strategy to promote novel solutions by structurally support and accelerate Innovative Initiatives to achieve results and improve the situation and rights for children and young people. The consultant will lead the review and the first phase of implementation of the strategy and will work under the supervision of the Deputy Representative.
The assignment aims to:
Deliverables and tasks to be completed in view of this assignment:
Deliverable 1: ACO Innovation strategy – all tasks to be completed by 30 April 2024
– Albania Innovation Strategy reviewed, and action plan drafted. Action plan in the Innovation Strategy drafted in collaboration with the Innovation Officer. 2 working days; completed by 2nd of Feb 2024
– Innovation strategy launched, and Innovation governance enabler established (Internal Innovation Task Force and the External Innovation Board). 20 working days; completed by 30 Mar 2024
– Regular monthly meetings with various Innovation Ecosystem conducted (Minimum 4 meetings). 2 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
– Minimum one activity on scaling innovative ideas within the Internal Innovation Task force conducted. 8 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
– At least one good practice of Innovation within the office is documented. 4 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
– Regular briefings on program meeting provided on innovation programming (at least three). 3 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
Deliverable 2: Lead on Innovative initiatives in the office – all tasks to be completed by 15 May 2024
– Reviewed implementation plan for the USupport Platform and assumed the role required according to the implementation plan. 10 working days; completed by 28 Feb 2024
– Reviewed and implement the concept note related to Collaboration with Albania StartUp Agency. 10 working days; completed by mid Feb 2024
– The partnership with Albania StartUp Agency implemented and administered. 10 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
– Report of the Activities implemented for innovative Initiatives submitted to Deputy Representative; 2 working days; by 15 May 2024
Deliverable 3: Coordination of cross-sectional output within the Country office programming – all tasks to be completed by 30 May 2024
– Reviewed all output according to the UNICEF Annual Work Plan related to Innovation within UNICEF Albania – 2 working days; by 02 Feb 2024
– Meetings with all sectors within UNICEF related to AWP 2024 organized. 5 working days; by 28 Feb 2024
– Recommendations for Innovations in AWP 2024 provided. 2 working days; completed by 15 Mar 2024
– Report with outcomes of meetings and recommendations submitted to Deputy representative. 2 working days; completed by 30 Apr 2024
Deliverable 4: Handover report to Innovation Officer – to be completed by 30 May 2024
– A full overview of the deliverable and activities conducted during the period and recommendations for the next step. 3 working days
If you have any question related activties and deliverables for this assignment, please contact Elvana Pernaska at [email protected]
To be qualified for this job you should have:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in the area directly related to Information Technology, International Relations, Social sciences or Social Development
- A minimum of 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in project design and implementation of other relevant programs; experience with innovations is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organizations.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing
- Excellent interpersonal skills: culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organization and authorities at different level; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Solid computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS office applications (Excel, Word, etc) and email/internet; familiarity with database management and office technology equipments
- Spoken and written English and Albanian
What to submit:
- Letter of interest, summarizing the educational background, the working experience that is relevant to the assignment and the specific role the candidate will play in collaboration with the other experts and the inter-institutional working group
- Updated resume
- Financial proposal of daily fee in ALL inclusive of all taxes
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: 27 Nov 2023 Central Europe Standard Time
Deadline: 11 Dec 2023 Central Europe Standard Time
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.