Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Postdoctoral Research Associate – Numerical Methods for Kinetic Equations
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 8994
The Multiscale Methods and Dynamics (MMD) Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking several qualified applicants for postdoctoral positions related to numerical methods for kinetic equations. Mathematical topics of interest include high-dimensional approximation, closure models, hybrid methods, structure preserving methods, and iterative solvers. Successful applications will work in applications related to gas dynamics, plasma physics, and radiation transport. The position comes with a travel allowance and access to advanced computing resources. The MMD group is responsible for the design and development of basic numerical algorithms and analysis necessary for simulating and understanding complex, multi-scale systems. The group is part of the Mathematics in Computation (MiC) Section of the Computer Science and Mathematics (CSM) Division. CSM delivers fundamental and applied research capabilities in a wide range of areas, including applied mathematics and computer science, experimental computing systems, scalable algorithms and systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning, data management, workflow systems, analysis and visualization technologies, programming systems and environments, and system science and engineering.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participation in the development and analysis of new computational methodologies for scientific problems, often customized to complex and large-scale scientific applications
- Delivery and support of mathematical technologies for various scientific disciplines and applications
- Dissemination of research through peer-reviewed papers and technical reports, as well as seminar and conference presentations
- Active participation in professional organizations
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Computational Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Basic programming experience
- Formal training in numerical analysis, linear algebra, and/or iterative solvers
- Expertise in multiscale problems and model reduction
- Experience developing methods for differential and integral equations
- Experience in the design and implementation of scalable numerical algorithms on HPC architectures
- Experience developing mathematical tools for engineering or science applications
- Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, and three letters of reference when applying to this position.
- Please have letters sent to
with the Job Posting Title and Requisition ID Number in the subject line. * Applicants should submit all materials by November 1st, 2022, but review of applications will begin immediately.
To upload documents to your candidate profile:
- login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- view Profile
- under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience. Other benefits include: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Oak Ridge, TN
Wed, 07 Dec 2022 05:52:12 GMT
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.