The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a motivated Program Associate (consultant position) to support the Legal Reform Fund’s (LRF) work in Indonesia. LRF is a global three-year project supported by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Global Women’s Issues (S/GWI) to address barriers to women’s full and effective participation in economic life in five key areas. These include access to institutions; removing employment barriers; property acquisition, ownership, and management; building credit; and ability to travel.
This position offers a unique opportunity to support the development and implementation of a women’s economic empowerment program in Indonesia focused on delivering technical assistance to key government and institutional actors. This consultant position will support on the ground program implementation in the areas of logistics, financial tracking, program monitoring and evaluation, and reporting.
Works closely with a team comprised of ABA ROLI staff located in Washington DC, Dili, Jakarta-based and international consultants. Reporting directly to a DC-based Program Director.
Participate in weekly team meetings.
Support the Indonesia Program Manager in outreach efforts and in building partnerships with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders, including but not limited to, the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights, Ministry of Women Empowerment and Child Protection, the National Research and Innovation Agency, the Supreme Court, Women Caucus, Technical Expertise Body of Indonesian House of Representatives, and the Ministry of SMEs and Cooperatives. Also, liaise with issue-area experts, civil society organizations, legal aid organizations, and academics.
Handle administrative and operation support during implementation of project.
Provide logistical support for workshops, training, and other meetings as assigned by Indonesia Program Manager.
Provide logistical support for workshops, training, and other meetings as necessary.
Invite media for ABA related activities i.e: workshop, seminar, socialization, etc.
Translate documents if necessary.
Assist in writing proposals.
Attend meetings with government officials.
Maintain record of media coverage of ABA activities in Indonesia.
Write minutes of meetings during weekly meetings and trainings.
Maintain folders and documents about ABA program activities in Indonesia (e.g., attendance list, invoices, MOUs, project reports, etc.).
Perform other tasks as requested by Indonesia Program Manager and D.C. team.
- Experience and expressed interest in working on issues related to women’s economic empowerment and legal reform.
- University degree in law, gender studies, development studies, public policy, finance, management, or another relevant field.
- 2-4 years of experience in law, public policy, development, human rights, or a related field with demonstrated expertise in human rights and in gender issues.
- Familiarity with the local political, cultural, and legal context and regulatory environment in Indonesia.
- Experience working with government and other key stakeholders in Indonesia.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of gender equality and social inclusion and inclusive programmatic approach.
- Effective project management skills (e.g., ability to support multiple priorities, adapt to evolving project/work needs, and deliver timely results).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and remote communication tools such as Zoom.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesian.
- Must have authorization to work in Indonesia.
- Experience working with international non-governmental, governmental, or civil society organizations, especially in issues related to women economic empowerment.
- Experience in program implementation and management throughout its life cycle.
- Experience working with local and global nonprofit organizations is a plus.
- Program and administrative experience, strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience in the development and management of a budget.
- ABOUT ABA ROLI
The mission of ABA ROLI is to promote justice, economic opportunity, and human dignity through the rule of law. For more than 30 years in over 100 countries, ABA ROLI has worked to strengthen legal institutions, to support legal professionals, to foster respect for human rights, and to advance public understanding of the law and citizen rights. In collaboration with our in-country partners, we design programs that are responsive to local needs and that prioritize sustainable solutions to pressing rule of law challenges.
For more information on ABA ROLI, please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume and one-page Cover Letter (which includes your availability and salary expectation) to [email protected] with the subject line “Legal Reform Fund Program Associate Application” by June 22, 2023. This email address should also be used for any questions relevant to this posting.
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative is committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its programming. Individuals identifying as from marginalized, vulnerable, or underrepresented populations/communities are especially encouraged to apply.