International Republican Institute
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks, include:
Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Program Officer is responsible for designing and implementing a strategy for IRI’s programs in her/his countries of assignment. S/he closely monitors and analyzes political and economic developments in countries of responsibility, develops program ideas, and drafts proposals on a range of democracy and assistance programs. S/he also identifies program partners and develops and maintains close relationships with them and with funders. The PO is also involved in new business development efforts.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field.
- Three to five years’ professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working directly with political parties, civil society organizations/NGOs or legislative bodies, or equivalent combination.
- Working knowledge of the politics, economics, history and culture of Southeastern Europe . Specific knowledge of Albania and Montenegro preferred.
- Previous experience working in the Southeastern Europe context strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with US Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, implementation and basic accounting necessary to draft and oversee a budget.
- Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Ability to travel to Southeastern Europe
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in Southeastern Europe/Western Balkan countries to provide regional and country analysis and information.
- Oversees implementation of specific grant(s) and associated grant activities under the supervision of the Program Manager and in collaboration with the Albanian and Montenegrin field office teams.
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Supports efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budget estimates and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations.
- Oversees updates to budget tracker and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned.
- Writes/collaborates with the Albanian and Montenegrin field teams, and edits/adds information to ensure high quality quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders
- Contributes to the development of new program ideas and to the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.
- Assists with assessing new funding opportunities and serve as proposal manager (as assigned) for new bid opportunities.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops strong working relationships with relevant stakeholders in DC and abroad.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
- Represents IRI at external events.
- Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation; if an immediate need arises deploys on short-to long-term service in a program in the field to maintain continuity of the program.
- Supervises Program Associate, is involved in hiring and evaluation process. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.