United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Protection Assistant (Legal Aid)
About the Job
The overall purpose of the role is to support the legal counseling team in disseminating relevant legal information to refugees and Turkish citizens and in supporting DRC in counselling People of Concerns (POC), accompaniment to service providers and government entities, awareness raising, as well as support to survivors of gender-based violence and other people in case-management services
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees and rights awareness-raising
DRC is committed to building a diverse organization where inclusivity is central. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to our goal and organizational principle of diversity and inclusivity.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at DRC. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Geographic scope: Kahramanmaraş Field Office
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within each base.
• Support the legal officer and case management team(s) with initial data intake of PoCs with legal concerns;
• In collaboration with the legal officer, monitor developments on the legal framework and regulations developed for refugees and Turkish citizens at the area and Country level and, where relevant, translate into Arabic or Turkish
• Support the legal officer in disseminating key legal information by interpreting and explaining procedures, legislation, and official documents to POC, and providing real-time translation for individual and group sessions;
• Assist in filling relevant documentation for individual POC;
• Assist in preparing and delivering legal awareness sessions through researching sources, preparing PPT presentations, and conducting FGDs with beneficiaries where necessary;
• Assist in preparing and facilitating thematic sessions during commemorations and other events.
• Under guidance and supervision of the legal counsellor:
• Follow-up with POC through phone calls and individual meetings;
• Ensure clear communication with beneficiaries to inform them of potential courses of action and empowering them to pursue their chosen options;
• Follow up with internal departments, service providers and government entities as per each individual POC’s action plan;
• Keep up to date with appropriate legislation and policies regarding Syrian refugees and refugees living in Turkey in general.
• Ensure impartiality, and confidentiality of beneficiaries, at all times,
• Ensuring the maintenance and regular update of case databases and other relevant trackers.
*Undertake any further duties as the line manager sees fit. The position duties are flexible to a degree to allow the candidate to develop skills they personally identify. This can be arranged in discussions with the line manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have relevant university degree/Diploma in Law, social sciences, community development and mobilization, international relations or another relevant field. Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required experience and competencies
• Minimum 1 years of practical experience in sector area working for an NGO or similar organization
• Field experience in the Area
• Experience working in the Legal sector
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in Turkish and intermediate Arabic
- Verbal and written English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 3 Months
Employment Band: I
Designation of Duty Station: Kahramanmaraş
Start date: 15.05.2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 10.05.2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, DRC reserves the right of conducting tests and interviews before the closing date, and can close the advertisement earlier in case of finding a suitable candidate.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Please click here to see the Data Protection
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu.net) you saw this internship posting.