Collin County Community College
2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway, Plano, Texas, 75074
Provide Computer Access Realtime Transcription (CART) to students for all college-related activities, classes, programs, and events. Upload the caption file to the AIM ACCESS Portal within twenty-four hours after the end of the assignment.
- Through the use of stenographic computer equipment, provide Realtime Captioning services for d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals that will facilitate communication in classroom settings and for college-related activities.
- Transcribe all spoken material, as well as pertinent extraneous noises within the environment.
- Follow the NCRA (National Court Reporter Association) Code of Professional Conduct.
- Using textbooks and other resources from faculty, build Realtime Captioning dictionary(s) in order to effectively write classroom lectures, discussions, and other content.
- Complete editing and uploading of the class file within twenty-four hours of the end of the assignment.
- Discuss with the student their preferred/appropriate seating arrangements.
- Use the captioning coordinator as a resource to help with problem-solving as necessary.
- Report schedule changes, appropriateness of skill level for a particular class, faculty cooperation, course content or style, and feedback about the student’s use of captioner to the captioning coordinator.
- Adhere to the college and department policies and procedures.
- Participate in captioning skill-building activities and other professional development to continually improve/enhance current knowledge and skills related to Realtime Captioning.
- Attend and participate in annual in-service training sessions and workshops.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Ensure student and class information is secured on a daily basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures, and Core Values.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of NCRA (National Court Reporter Association) Code of Professional Conduct
- Knowledge of Registry of Interpreter for the Deaf Code of Ethics
- Knowledge of client class schedules
- Knowledge of transcription
- Dictation and note-taking skills
- Court reporting skills
- Ability to produce at least 225 words per minute of speed writing
- Ability to provide clean notes
Physical Demands, Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Sedentary Work – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Positions in this class typically require talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
CART CAPTIONER I (HR212)
High School diploma or equivalency certificate. Must be currently enrolled in an accredited court reporting program at the 200 words per minute speed level.
If currently enrolled, a letter from the instructor is required as proof of enrollment.
CART CAPTIONER II (HR214)
Graduate of an accredited court reporting program and at least one (1) year of captioning or court reporting experience OR at least three (3) years of captioning or court reporting experience.
**This position is Security Sensitive, therefore, candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.**
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job as duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. Collin College reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made by Collin College in its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Collin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable law.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.