University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Hourly – Research Assistant /Technician 2
Research Assistant/Tech 2
Abdelrahman Laboratory I Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics I Faculty of Medicine
$23.24 – $27.70 CAD Hourly
Posting End Date
September 7, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Sept 17, 2024
The laboratory of Dr. Khaled Abdelrahman is looking to hire a motivated and detail-oriented research technician assistant. Abdelrahman Lab is located within the department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics at the University of British Columbia- Vancouver campus. This position offers an exciting opportunity to work at the forefront of neurodegenerative diseases research, specifically in the development of new disease-modifying therapeutics. Abdelrahman Lab employs cell culture and transgenic rodent models to explore the contribution of G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) to the pathophysiology of neurodegenerative diseases and how GPCRs can be targeted to slow neurodegeneration. The position requires experience in basic molecular biology techniques such as but not limited to RNA and Protein isolation, western blot analysis, qPCR, and ELISA. The position also requires expertise in histological preparation of frozen sections, immunostaining, and microscopy and imaging-based quantification. The position will also involve assistance in maintaining immortalized and primary cell lines, as well as transgenic rodent colonies. The candidate requires a strong work ethic and enthusiasm to work independently while being part of a vibrant research team. Candidate is expected to have strong organizational skills and work independently and as part of a team.
The research technician assistant will work under and report directly to the principal investigator.
Animal colony maintenance, assist in surgical procedures, and the collection of tissue samples. Genotyping, monitoring of animal well-being as well as maintaining computerized records of colonies. Assist in performing laboratory techniques in accordance with established protocols, ensuring accuracy, precision, and adherence to sterile techniques. Performs other laboratory related duties such as solution preparation, general clean up of laboratory and inventory/ordering of laboratory supplies as required. Coordinates, monitors, and ensures the implementation and enforcement of laboratory safety rules and procedures. Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of positions in this classification.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
- Attention to detail and exercising judgment is required. Improperly conducted procedures may warrant the repetition of experiments affecting the timeline of the research project and leading to waste of reagents.
- Errors may result in the loss of or damage to laboratory equipment.
- Loss of experimental results could jeopardize funding from granting agencies.
- Failure to properly prepare and conduct experiments could result in significant errors in analysis.
- Regularly meet with the supervisor to discuss progress and next duties to be performed. Work closely with members of the lab involved in the assigned project. Often works independently, and attends weekly lab meetings
- Technician may need to supervise new technicians or other trainees.
High school graduation, some additional training in a related field and a minimum two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline (pharmacology, Molecular biology, Biochemistry, Medical Sciences, and ..etc).
- Experience in basic molecular biology techniques such as RNA and Protein isolation, western blot analysis, qPCR, and ELISA.
- Experience in in maintain animal colonies
- Experience in histological preparation of frozen sections, immunostaining, and microscopy and imaging-based quantification.
- Good communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.