Wageningen University and Research Center
Are you an experienced researcher and do you have affinity with IT? Or the other way around: Are you an IT specialist and have you been working in a research environment for a while?
We are searching for an experienced research engineer for our IT department
As a research engineer you collaborate with researchers and IT professionals (200+ employees) to find technological solutions for the groundbreaking research at the WUR. You will provide the connecting link between the possibilities that IT offers and applied research. You develop new IT solutions that enable and speed up the research in the domains of Food, Nature and Agri. Your solutions improve the reliability, safety and reproducibility of the research data and models and you make sure that these solutions are compliant to the FAIR principles. You will be based in a multidisciplinary team specialized in IT support for research teams.
A question that you may encounter for example is to integrate existing tools with the shared IT infrastructure. Eventually software changes may be necessary to achieve this integration. Another example is making sure that the data that is collected with the help of measuring devices, is exported to big data environments. You make sure that the researcher can process and analyze the data. These are only a few examples of the challenges that you may meet.
You are familiar with science processes. You are able to apply a broad range of consulting and IT skills to support researchers. You have the flexibility to find the right solution for the wide range of questions that you may get, to achieve the result that is needed.
You will have the following tasks and responsibilities:
- You will do the intake for support requests for new research projects.
- You analyze the current IT solutions (or plans) and make an improvement plan. You help prioritize the different initiatives and advise on the priorities.
- You make a design for the solution (application, databases and/or infrastructure) that is needed. You make sure that the design fits within the guidelines from architecture, security, privacy and that the solution is compliant to the FAIR principles.
- You coordinate the implementation of the solution. The actual implementation will mostly be done by the platform teams.
- During the whole project, you are the main contact person for the client, the platform team, suppliers, architecture and security.
This job offers a lot of challenges, as you can see. These challenges may also be interpreted as possibilities for growth of your experience. This means that we also invite you to apply for this job if you have not yet achieved the track record that we ask for, however you think that you can fulfill the tasks and responsibilities within a short time period because you are a fast learner.
- You have a scientific master’s degree in Food, Nature, Agri or IT.
- You have at least 3 years of experience as a data scientist, data engineer or information analyst.
- You have experience in large scale computing infrastructures (like hyper computing, clusters, cloud)
- Preferably you have experience with Artificial Intelligence or Internet of Things.
- Preferably you have experience with Python or R programming language.
- You have excellent consulting and communication skills.
We offer you
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment . A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 4%
- an excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. We offer, depending on your experience, a competitive gross salary of between € 2.949,- and € 5.479,- for a full-time working week of 36 hours, in accordance with the
CLA Wageningen Research
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Do you want more information?
Do you want more information?
For more information about this position, please contact Diana Hoogeveen, Department Manager: 0317-485 269 or [email protected] . For more information about the procedure, please contact Monique Scott-Avis, HR Advisor: 0317-482417 of [email protected]
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
We would like to receive your letter and complete CV no later than May 30th 2023. Should we find a suitable candidate before this date, we will engage in conversation earlier then the final application date as shown above.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page . A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment .
The mission of Wageningen University & Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With its roughly 30 branches, 7,200 employees (6,400 fte) and 13,200 students and over 150.000 participants to WUR’s Life Long Learning, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. The unique Wageningen approach lies in its integrated approach to issues and the collaboration between different disciplines.
Read the 5 reasons why your future colleagues enjoy working at WUR and watch this video to get an idea of our green campus!
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this posting.