IRC Belgium - International Rescue Committee
Job Overview: As the Senior Advocacy Advisor, humanitarian and conflict, you are one of the IRC’s leading external specialists on our global influence agenda for the EU for countries facing crisis, including humanitarian access, international humanitarian law and civilian protection. You are responsible for crafting our influence strategies using IRC’s programmatic and research evidence, surgical policy and practice solutions, and trusted brand to inspire collective action. You are the go-to expert for understanding current legislative and policy trends in the EU and how our policies support tor clash with political agendas. You contribute your fresh and creative analysis to inform IRC’s policy objectives and co-create solutions.
- Advocacy Strategy: Lead advocacy strategies for countries facing crisis, including to uphold humanitarian access, international humanitarian law and civilian protection, collaborating with policy leads, policy communications and digital communications, to advance IRCs key influence priorities and maximize the opportunity for IRC to advance our influence objectives;
- Influence Analysis: Develop power maps for key policy issues to identify influence priorities and targets. Work with team to support development and execution of creative influence strategies, including with nontraditional partners encouraging IRC to develop new approaches to advocacy as usual;
- Advocacy: Support efforts to build IRC’s credibility, profile and relationships by engaging with policy stakeholders and supporting opportunities to raise IRC’s profile at key meetings and for a;
- Legislative and Policy Tracking. Expand IRC’s legislative reach by tracking and analyzing shifting government positions, individuals engaging on our issues, and the politics around our issues. Translate policy asks into legislative/parliamentary asks. Track EU policy making processes & profile opportunities/events, including parliamentary hearings and resolutions. Analyze and report on relevant policy trends and regularly communicate trends to IRC’s Solutions Network to power global priorities and strategy;
- Policy Engagement: Contribute to policy generation by providing EU specific analysis that increases the credibility and efficacy of our solutions through constant collaboration and in focused policy roundtables. Support IRC’s policy team in identifying and developing policy priorities that are impactful and achievable;
- Communications: Provide market and audience expertise to communications team to shape policy communications specific to the EU. Support team in developing communications strategy and develop materials for advocacy targets, including digital/social content and take actions. Support planning and implementation of strategic activities including events;
- Steward Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: both in the culture of IRC, as well as in the policy solutions we develop and the ways we wield influence;
- Spokesperson: Act as an IRC influence spokesperson on focused advocacy areas. Act as key interlocutor with legislative and governmental staffers;
- Board and Advisors: Support relationships with IRC’s Board and Advisors by identifying points of mutual interest and opportunity around our priority issues;
- Teamwork: Support a positive team culture by acting openly and collaboratively, supporting colleagues in their work and sharing credit with others where appropriate.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to: EU Advocacy Director;
- Internal contacts: Policy and Advocacy colleagues in Brussels and across the globe; Technical Excellence leads; International Programmes leads; Communications; Donor relations; President’s Office, External Relations Department;
- External contacts: Key Opinion Formers and policy makers in the EU.
- Degree in relevant field such as Public Policy, Law or International Relations.
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy and advocacy strategy development with a focus on creativity and strategic thinking;
- 6-8 years of experience working on complex humanitarian and/or development issues.
Demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Examples of influence/impact on legislative and executive policy. Strong network of influencers and policy makers;
- Deep understanding of EU politics and policy making, and familiarity with leverage points within the EU institutions that can be targeted to achieve policy change objectives;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, being solutions-oriented when traditional advocacy means do not suffice;
- Extensive knowledge of the humanitarian and development sector, particularly around the dynamics of conflict and crisis, humanitarian operations in complex contexts, IHL, access and protracted displacement;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with experts, high level decision-makers, and colleagues in the humanitarian and development fields;
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to translate complex material and data into coherent narratives that resonate with policymakers;
- Fluency with key parts of the IRC’s strategy and existing policy strategy;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Initiative and ability to work independently on fast-paced issues, and juggle competing demands.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on nearmejobs.eu
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.