World Bank Group
The Bank is engaged in all aspects of the energy sector development in Uganda, covering electricity generation, transmission, regional integration, and distribution including last-mile electrification; support for accelerating energy access for households, commercial enterprises, industrial parks, and public institutions using both grid and off-grid electrification; promoting initiatives for clean cooking solutions for household and public institutions; promoting productive uses of electricity for income generating activities; technical assistance on energy policy, regulatory, and institutional framework, and capacity building of sector institutions; and interconnection with neighboring countries as part of the efforts to enable Uganda to be connected to the regional electricity network and improve the conditions for trade and resource optimization. The current portfolio in Uganda’s energy sector comprises of three projects under implementation with over US$810 million IDA/GEF/CTF/ESMAP financing, focusing on scaling up both on-grid and off-grid electricity connections, as well as extension and strengthening of the distribution and transmission infrastructure.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda to support the design and implementation of existing and pipeline projects in Uganda. The focus will be across the entire energy sector portfolio including the electricity value chain and the broader electrification and regional integration agenda, and the related policy dialogue. As a member of the Uganda energy team, the selected candidate is expected to play a key role in design and implementation of the on-going and future World Bank support in energy in East Africa in general and in Uganda in particular.
- The Lead or co-lead energy sector strategy development and policy dialogue with Government and development partners, and alert management (both country and sector) to issues requiring attention.
- Lead or co-Lead the preparation and supervision of investment operations in Uganda, including energy access (both grid and off-grid), improved cookstoves, productive uses of energy, and transmission and distribution network strengthening and expansion, including regional integration projects.
- Contribute to the Maximizing Finance for Development (MFD) approach. The Africa Energy Team is a key contributor to the WBG strategy for MFD with the objective to help countries maximize their development resources by drawing on a range of financing sources and sustainable private sector solutions. You will work with IFC and MIGA for the ongoing and new WBG collaboration on existing and potential PPP opportunities in Uganda.
- Contribute to the preparation of analytical and advisory reports and studies on strategic energy sector issues, including the second generation of power sector reforms, transmission and distribution, renewable energy, climate change, energy efficiency, and potentially other regional energy programs, as well as inputs to report management.
- Lead the drafting and inputs for sector and country briefings, analytical and advisory reports and studies on utility and power sector reforms, transmission and distribution, renewable energy; energy efficiency, and other programs within the AFR Energy portfolio.
- Assume an active role in the Uganda Energy Team with the aim to ensure adequate and appropriate integration of relevant aspects of the energy development agenda in core Bank products, including the country partnership framework, strategic country diagnostic, country economic memorandum, and climate agenda.
- Participate in collaborative and coordination efforts, internally with other practices and WBG and externally with other donors and partners, to optimize complementarities with Bank supported projects and program;
- Participate in the dialogue with relevant representatives of the private sector to keep abreast with issues related to the business investment climate and identify possible areas of collaboration through public-private-partnerships.
- Draft and provide timely contributions to project documents and follow-up of official missions, including the drafting of Aide Memoires, official correspondence, and project completion reports.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Government agencies (i.e., Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development, Uganda Energy Credit Capitalization Company, Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited), and work with them in project preparation and supervision, ensuring implementation according to project design and to a high technical standard, identifying potential problem areas and proactively recommending appropriate measures to resolve issues and ensure that project implementation remains on schedule.
- Develop strong relationships with the Country Management Unit, providing inputs to operational products/outputs for sector and country briefings, analytical and advisory reports and studies, portfolio performance and monitoring reviews, and acting as liaison with the country unit on energy issues.
- Master’s degree in engineering, energy planning/economics, sustainable energy, business administration, or equivalent areas relevant for energy sector development;
- At least 8 years of experience in the energy sector in the World Bank, other international institutions and/or companies, government agencies, and/or power sector utilities with track record of strong performance;
- Understanding of energy policies, planning, regulations, technologies or strategies, private sector participation, and institutional development needed to support development and for the success of project and analytic work;
- Experience in any part of the energy value chain (planning, generation, transmission, distribution, or regulation), and sector reforms and experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa. Experience in working in Uganda energy sector will be an added advantage;
- Experience in working in World Bank or other International Financial Institutions (IFIs) lending and non-lending operations is desirable;
- Ability to think strategically, work independently, and multi-task complex projects effectively;
- Ability to develop, analyze and articulate project issues and to diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions;
- Demonstrated maturity and aptitude to represent the World Bank in high-level policy dialogue;
- High level of excitement, ability to work independently, taking initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements;
- Active listening skills, excellent interpersonal skills, able to influence the audience and build positive relationships with clients, different partners and colleagues across units and departmental boundaries in a multi-cultural environment with disperse teams located in different countries;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues at different levels of the organization and in a multi-cultural environment;
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.
Biologiste Médical H/F – HIA Sainte-AnneService de Santé des ArméesToulon, VarToulon, Var
Un business analyste informatique SAP SD MM FI sur Grenoble (IT) / FreelanceAlmatekGrenoble, IsèreGrenoble, Isère
Project Administrative and Finance SupportFood and Agriculture OrganizationManila, PhilippinesManila, Philippines
Relief Worker – for daily paid purposesUnited Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)JordanJordan