UN DESA - United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Sustainable Development Officer, P4
UN DESA – United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Incheon City, Republic of Korea
Within delegated authority, the Sustainable Development Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and sustainable development issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with clients, (e.g. Member States), by planning and facilitating workshops on sustainable development issues, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans clients will use to manage change.
- Develops draft policy recommendations on sustainable development issues, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations on sustainable development issues.
- Provides substantive support on sustainable development issues to intergovernmental bodies such as the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, the Economic and Social Council, and the General Assembly.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Designs, manages and monitors the implementation of capacity building projects on sustainable development.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches, with specialized knowledge and expertise on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its SDGs. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic resources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, policy-oriented work in a broad range of sustainable development issues, including the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs at the international level, is required.
- Experience in supporting the implementation of capacity development programmes at the international and national levels is desirable.
- Experience in management of knowledge management platforms is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.