E.L. Haynes Public Charter School
Teacher Job Description
Now accepting applications for all subjects and grade levels for School Year 2023-24.
- Do you want to help create a more just and kind world?
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a school community?
- Do you want to ensure that every student can be successful and prepared to thrive in college, career and life?
A kind, communicative, social justice leader that seeks a full-time teaching position. You know from first-hand experience the highest leverage techniques and strategies students from racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds need to thrive in college, career, and life. You want to teach students in order to create a more just and equitable world. You have a growth mindset, want to develop the perspective, agency, and urgency to make a positive impact in the world around you, and take actions that promote justice and equity in your community.
We are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student – of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability – prepares to thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves more than 1,135 students in grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous educational program designed to prepare students to succeed in the college of their choice.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse community— as individuals and as a collective— with the skills and the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our community to live our motto: Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart.
- Lead For Equity: We challenge ourselves and each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable alternatives.
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and offer praise.
- Achieve Excellence: We deliver high quality work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce high quality work.
- Succeed Together: We value every member of our community and treat each other with kindness and care. We build meaningful relationships with students, families, and each other. We achieve more through collaboration and teamwork.
We are different. We are:
- A diverse and inclusive community, with nearly 70% of our staff identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health services.
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in the decision-making process
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent PK-12 environment
We expect students to demonstrate the following skills and qualities in our graduate profile.
ABOUT OUR ACADEMIC PROGRAM
E.L. Haynes provides a rigorous and engaging college preparatory curriculum for students in grades Pre-K through 12. Our instructional program provides intensive learning experiences that deepen understanding at all grade levels so that every student is prepared to become kind and curious community members, lifelong learners, and leaders of social justice.
Please read more about our academic program here.
- Plan and deliver exceptional instruction based on E. L. Haynes’ rigorous academic standards, curriculum framework, graduate profile, and student assessment data,
- Conduct and analyze on-going assessments of student performance,
- Collaborate with other teachers, including special education and ELL teachers to implement student supports,
- Create a positive and supportive classroom culture and environment that puts relationships with students first,
- Engage families and caregivers in their students’ success,
- Lead a student advisory group to build community and for social, emotional, and academic support (middle and high school only), and
- Be an active member of the school community, attending and participating in school events outside of regular school hours, and completing other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree,
- Two or more years of teaching experience in an urban setting,
- A clear understanding of standards-based curriculum and standards-based assessment,
- An ability to build a positive and supportive classroom culture,
- Used models and exemplars to drive instruction, and
- Strong collaboration skills in order to ensure student success.
You might also have:
- A Washington, DC teaching certification,
- A strong background in differentiated and student-centered instruction,
- Experience in hands-on learning such as experiential learning or project-based learning,
- Experience in data-driven instruction,
- Verbal or written proficiency in Spanish, and
- An advanced degree in education or your subject area.
Annual salaries for the teacher position at E.L. Haynes begin at $65,000. Please see more information regarding our teacher salary scale here.
We look forward to meeting you!
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our students.
Our hiring process consists of an online application, a one-way virtual interview and a final panel interview with a lesson plan demonstration. Please see more here.
Spanish speakers and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $120,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
All E.L. Haynes PCS employees Proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination (includes both vaccination shots and not boosters)
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Washington, DC 20010: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.