Department for Business and Trade roles (DBT)
Main purpose of job:
The Department for Business and Trade (DBT) is the Trade Promotion and Negotiation organisation for the UK. We promote UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries. Our aspiration is to address some of the challenges facing the UK, by helping British businesses to internationalise and grow overseas.
DBTAfrica is one of the nine DBT global networks and is led by John Humphrey, HM Trade Commissioner (HMTC) for Africa. The Africa Region is exciting and energising and UK firms have a strong presence here, making the UK the the second largest investor on the continent. With some of the strongest growing economies in the world and booming population growth, there are numerous more opportunities for UK firms; from tech start-ups in the West to infrastructure in the East. The DBT Africa network’s role is to promote these opportunities and position the UK as the continent’s number one trading partner and investor.
You will join the Department for Business and Trade’s Africa network. This role will provide crucial leadership and expertise to enable the expansion.
Main Purpose of Role
Your role will have three elements:
- You will help build interest, offer advice and give support to British businesses seeking to trade and invest in Cameroon.
- You will develop and manage a database of specialised sector information, maintain relations with relevant public and private experts and decision makers, and maintain channels to facilitate business between the UK and Cameroon through interventions in trade policy, as well as trade and investment promotion.
- Assist the DBT Country Director in delivering against market targets, recording transactions, reporting activities and communicating within the wider DBT Africa network.
Roles and responsibilities:
Reporting to the DBT Country Director, you will help identify and deliver on opportunities for both new and existing UK business. Your routine will entail maintaining a network of operational level contacts across government and private sectors, processing and sharing information with internal and external stakeholders, monitoring procurement opportunities and proactively contacting British businesses, ensuring a good quality service is provided to them. Key responsibilities will include:
- Engage directly with British companies who have expressed an interest in exploring exporting opportunities in Cameroon in order to help deliver their trade and investment aims
- Produce good quality and detailed reports providing market insights and sector- or product-specific information and analysis, charging where appropriate
- Engagement with a multitude of Government departments, agencies, companies and other organisations, at all levels, to ensure maximum co-operation and understanding of their current needs and aspirations, engaging credibly to build strong and meaningful relationships with stakeholders and clients in the UK and Cameroon
- Develop a plan and prioritise for key sectors and areas of opportunities for UK firms – possibly Sustainable Infrastructure, Renewable Energy, Fintech, Agritech, healthcare and education sectors
- Assist in planning and running trade missions from the UK into Cameroon
- Use the various DBT databases and platforms to ensure good recording and reporting of in-country interactions and activities undertaken by the country team working on trade and investment
- Collaborate with colleagues across the DBT Africa network and DBT HQ to maximise opportunities, increase the impact of inward missions and other visits from the UK
- Support the DBT Country Director in preparing trade briefings, trade statistics, and pipeline of opportunities to include in annual business planning
- Assist with VIP visits including responsibility for programme and logistics
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on economic and sector developments in Cameroon relevant to trade and working closely with One HMG partners in the High Commission to identify barriers to business
- Attending various after work events, such as receptions at which many senior contacts will be present
- Upload market access issues onto DMAS, a tailored digital platform for recording challenges encountered by companies trading internationally
Official mobile and laptop
- At least three years relevant professional experience
- You will need to be a self-starter with good sense of initiative and a healthy reporting culture
- Excellent drafting skills in English, and fluency of written and spoken English is a prerequisite. Good working knowledge of French will be tested
- Relevant postgraduate degree and/or undergraduate degree and other professional qualification
- Be highly motivated, a keen problem solver, show strong organizational skills and be resourceful as a dependable team player
- Demonstrate strong work ethic, ability to work amid tight deadlines and good professional judgment
- Experience of trade and/or investment work, with good networking skills and demonstrated ability to establish and maintain contacts to deliver progress around business requests
Language: English and French
Level of language required: Fluent
- Client facing experience, for example with a professional services business (managing businesses, understanding issues and pursuing strategies together)
- Experience working on the frontier between public and private sector (engaging with stakeholders on both sides to deliver business outcomes) will be an advantage
- Specific sector experience
- Experience working or engaging with the Cameroon Government and evidence of good knowledge of public sector decision-making processes
Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
25 April 2023
Executive Officer (EO)
British High Commission
XAF 785,238 plus XAF 136,068 Housing Allowance plus XAF 51,612 Transport Allowance
15 June 2023
Learning and development opportunities:
The successful applicant will have access to a wide range of Learning and Development opportunities both in-house and e-learning. From time to time there will be requirements to assist other teams within the Department, working with other members of the team to build overall experience through delivery of training and awareness sessions.
Flexible working can be considered for the right candidate.
Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Yaounde are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Cameroon.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
1.Obtain the relevant permit
2.Pay the fees for the permit
3.Make arrangements to relocate
4.Meet the costs to relocation
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a reserve list. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application/indicate in your cover letter where (nearmejobs.eu) you saw this job posting.